Friday, August 24, 2007

Small Yard Project....not so much!




A few weeks back I mentioned AT&T was going to be digging up my yard again any day to remove the box and utility easement in our front yard. Well, kids we are on the utility company's time line, which means it didn't start until 3 weeks later, or so. Here is their artwork thus far in our front yard. I went upstairs and got an aerial shot for you! As you can see they have dug a hole about 8 feet long by 4 feet wide and it is also at least 6 feet deep. When they are down in there you can't see them. When I took the pictures they were at lunch. They have 3 umbrellas they put in there as well as fans they hook up to a generator to keep them cool. It is really quite an operation! They have to wear these little hard hats, all due to Ochoa regulations so I'm told, that they really don't care for. I went to get the mail on Wednesday and peered down in the hole at them. I then made the comment that they looked like the miners on T.V. with their little hats on. They said, "Oh, don't say that!" I then asked if they were doing ok and if they needed something to drink, hoping they would take me up on it so I could get their picture of them drinking lemonade in the front yard as suggested in the previous post. Plus the last thing I need is for one of the AT&T men to collapse in my front yard! They responded with, "Oh no, we're fine. We've just been worried about you in there in all that cool air conditioning." I must admit, they are funny!

This is the 5th time they have dug up our yard! I have evidently created a reputation down at the AT&T office. The foreman came on the job site Tuesday and said, "Oh hi there, I've been hearing nothing but good things about you all day." My response was, "Well, I aim to please." Evidently, the people down at the main office told the foreman that I would help him with the other neighbors and be nice to him at the same time. I can imagine that is not a usual response when they dig burial sites in most peoples' yards like we have at the present. They are projecting this to take another week or so until they start putting the yard back together again. It could always be worse, and it's just less Johnny has to mow right now! However, this is a lesson as to why one should always get a survey! You will never know you have a utility easement unless you get one or until you find AT&T six feet under when you get home one day!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

What happened with Catherine's appt with the cardiologist????

Young Fam said...

I absolutely love your new landscaping project. You should ask the workers if you could place a potted plant on the backhoe to help spruce things up a bit! Also, are any of these phone guys cute, and if so, do they work with their shirts off? I might need to drop by...