Sunday, August 26, 2007

Great New Recipe!

I got this great new recipe from my neighbor, Aunt Sunnee, that I had to share. I come from a long line of women who love to eat, but also love to cook. So, if it is good enough to pass along, then it is really good! This tastes just like the baked squash at a chain restaurant with the name Dixie in it. Enjoy!

Baked Squash Casserole

5 lbs. medium yellow squash (measure it at the store on the scale)
2 eggs, beaten
1 C. bread crumbs, plus more for topping
2 Tbsp. chopped onion
1 stick butter
1/4 C. sugar
Salt as needed
Dash of ground black pepper

Variation: Add 1-1 1/2 C. cheddar cheese and 1 jalapeno pepper diced.

Trim squash and cut into large pieces. Drop into a large saucepan with enough boiling water to cover. Return to a boil, reduce heat and cook until tender. Drain in a colander, then mash.

In a large mixing bowl, combine squash, eggs, 1C. breadcrumbs, onion, butter, sugar, salt, and pepper. Turn into a 3-quart casserole dish that has been lightly greased. Cover with a light layer of bread crumbs. Bake at 350 until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Serves 10.

This recipe makes a lot! It also freezes beautifully! I usually am able to make 2 8X8 plus another smaller dish size with this recipe, and I'll freeze 2 of the dishes. It has become a household favorite!

5 comments:

The Proctors said...

Yummy!! I love squash! I think I will try this one out soon. Thanks, Claire!

Melissa said...

Ok, I'm going to try this one for sure. I LOVE squash casserole more than anything! Thanks for sharing!!!

The Nelson Family said...

I am so excited about this recipe. Whenever I go to "restaurants with the name 'Dixie' in them" I always order the squash casserole. I can't wait to make my own! Thank you!

Amber said...

Yum, can't wait to try it! Give us more pics of that sweet little girl!

Young Fam said...

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!! I order this everytime I go to The Confederate Cafe! I have a squash casserole recipe but it doesn't taste quite like the cafe's recipe. I often find myself contemplating how to make it more like theirs. I'm so excited to have this recipe, you have no idea. I'll buy any needed ingredients tomorrow! From one southern gal to another, thanks, Girl!